[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: Freezing potato soup?
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: tintalle 
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:13:36 -0330
--------
I made a huge pot of potato soup tonight (first time ever)  It turned 
out pretty good i think, same flavor and texture as my favorite 
restaurant variety.   Anyway, there are only two of us, and i'm 
wondering if the leftovers can be frozen?  Will it affect the 
texture/flavor too much? There's alot of milk in it, does that make a 
difference?

Thanks!

============================

From: Jill McQuown 
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:13:30 -0600
--------
The cooked potatoes will probably get mushy.

============================

From: jjsworldSPAM[at]BLOCKERzipcon.com (Gal Called J.J.)
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:21:12 GMT
--------
One time on Usenet, tintalle said:
> I made a huge pot of potato soup tonight (first time ever)  It turned 
> out pretty good i think, same flavor and texture as my favorite 
> restaurant variety.   Anyway, there are only two of us, and i'm 
> wondering if the leftovers can be frozen?  Will it affect the 
> texture/flavor too much? There's alot of milk in it, does that make a 
> difference?

DH takes frozen leftovers for lunch (he hates sandwiches), and potato 
soup is one of his favorites. My recipe has a lot of milk too, doesn't 
seem to hurt it by being frozen...

============================

From: jim.mckelvey[at]sympatico.ca (Biff)
Date: 9 Jan 2005 15:08:08 -0800
--------
Add some grated raw potato when you reheat it. Simmer for at least 3
minutes. This will restore a lot of texture.

============================

Subject: re: to freezing potato soup
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: Joe Kibort 
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:42:18 -0600
--------
yes, after  reheating you can always spice it back up to freshen up ,white
pepper, wine, buter etc.
actually most soups can be frozen and this is a regular practice in the
industrty for larger chain rest.'s that bring in their soups that way!

============================

From: The Joneses 
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 05:35:27 GMT
--------
Joe Kibort wrote:
> yes, after  reheating you can always spice it back up to freshen up ,white
> pepper, wine, buter etc.
> actually most soups can be frozen and this is a regular practice in the
> industrty for larger chain rest.'s that bring in their soups that way!

Took 2 pints of frozen potato soup out of freezer, warmed slightly in m/w to
get out of jars, heated in pan on very low heat.  Texture icky-crumbly, soup
got curdley (should have used sour cream instead of half & half?).  Used stick
blender to smooth out, tasted good anyway with sprinkle of shredded smoked
chedder.
Edrena

============================

From: Jill McQuown 
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:40:33 -0600
--------
The Joneses wrote:
> Took 2 pints of frozen potato soup out of freezer, warmed slightly in
> m/w to get out of jars, heated in pan on very low heat.  Texture
> icky-crumbly, soup got curdley (should have used sour cream instead
> of half & half?).  Used stick blender to smooth out, tasted good
> anyway with sprinkle of shredded smoked chedder.

Well now, didn't I tell you the potatoes would lose texture if frozen?  I
don't think the cream matters, it's just not a good soup to freeze.  At
least you got some cream of potato soup out of the attempt :)

============================

From: The Joneses 
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:22:41 GMT
--------
Jill McQuown wrote:
> Well now, didn't I tell you the potatoes would lose texture if frozen?  I
> don't think the cream matters, it's just not a good soup to freeze.  At
> least you got some cream of potato soup out of the attempt :)

Yah you did, but you know how soup magically multiplies? There's only the 2
of us.  And furthermore I don't think that picnic in the meadow long ago was
loaves and fishes, I think it was fish soup...  :)
Edrena


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]