[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: How about doing frozen french fries on a grille??
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: TomKan 
Date: 21 Mar 2005 07:20:10 -0800
--------
Just read a thread on making pizza on a grille. How about frozen french
fries??

============================

From: Wayne Boatwright 
Date: 21 Mar 2005 16:29:43 +0100
--------
Don't see why not, but I think they'd need to be on a baking sheet or 
perforated or mesh grill sheet.  Also, I'd toss them with extra oil or spray 
generously with cooking spray first.

============================

From: Jill McQuown 
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:39:19 -0600
--------
> Don't see why not, but I think they'd need to be on a baking sheet or
> perforated or mesh grill sheet.  Also, I'd toss them with extra oil
> or spray generously with cooking spray first.

IF you're gonna grill them, yeah, use a baking sheet or foil grill sheet.
But why bother with frozen fries?  Stick 'em in the oven.  Leave room on the
grill for more meat :)

============================

From: BOB 
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:24:47 -0800
--------
Jill McQuown wrote:
> IF you're gonna grill them, yeah, use a baking sheet or foil grill
> sheet. But why bother with frozen fries?  Stick 'em in the oven.
> Leave room on the grill for more meat :)

I like to smoke 'Tater Tots right along with the meat.  I do use a 
pizza screen on my upper grill though.

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: 21 Mar 2005 08:36:38 -0800
--------
TomKan wrote:
> Just read a thread on making pizza on a grille. How about frozen french
> fries??

Methinks you mean "grill".... no 'e'.

M-W

grille

1 : a grating forming a barrier or screen; especially : an ornamental
one at the front end of an automobile
2 : an opening covered with a grille 

============================

From: Doug Kanter 
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:03:47 GMT
--------
TomKan wrote:
> Just read a thread on making pizza on a grille. How about frozen french
> fries??

Good french fries are created by being instantly surrounded by even heat at 
just the right level. Deep fryer, in other words. It works fairly well in a 
very hot oven with some fries. But, the surrounding temperature in a grill 
is anything but even. On the other hand, what's the risk? A $3.00 bag of 
fries? You can always toss them to the squirrels. 

============================

From: Dennis Ruddell 
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:15:47 -0000
--------
Doug Kanter wrote:
> Good french fries are created by being instantly surrounded by even heat at 
> just the right level. Deep fryer, in other words. It works fairly well in a 
> very hot oven with some fries.

I got frustrated with having a deep fryer so when I do make fries at 
home I just use the electric frying pan with 1/4" of oil.  Seems to do 
the trick although not as good as a real fryer does.  But the cleanup is 
easier and nobody's complained (yet).

> But, the surrounding temperature in a grill 
> is anything but even. On the other hand, what's the risk? A $3.00 bag of 
> fries? You can always toss them to the squirrels. 

Yeah, be bold, go where no man has gone before...make it a five year 
mission though as you can raise/lower the grill, change temps and who 
knows what else.  But our squirrels here are still sleeping in the trees...
in fact, it's snowing right now in Sunny Saskatchewan.

============================

From: salgud 
Date: 21 Mar 2005 15:27:15 -0800
--------
I don't know you, Doug, so I don't want to jump to any conclusions. So
I'll just ask, do you hate squirrels?

============================

From: Doug Kanter 
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:45:40 GMT
--------
salgud wrote"
> I don't know you, Doug, so I don't want to jump to any conclusions. So
> I'll just ask, do you hate squirrels?

Actually, I like squirrels. So, insert "seagulls" instead of "squirrels", if 
you prefer. 

============================

From: Gregory Morrow 
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:23:22 GMT
--------
TomKan wrote:
> Just read a thread on making pizza on a grille. How about frozen french
> fries??

Howzabout Freedom Fries on a George Forman  "grille"...???

============================

From: aem 
Date: 21 Mar 2005 10:29:16 -0800
--------
TomKan wrote:
> Just read a thread on making pizza on a grille. How about frozen french
> fries??

I suppose it can be done, but why bother?  If what you're after is not
deep-frying them, they can be baked in a hot oven or they can be cooked
in a dry electric skillet set at 400F, covered.  The frozen product
already has a coating of oil, none needs to be added.    -aem

============================

From: Stan Horwitz 
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:36:56 -0500
--------
TomKan wrote:
> Just read a thread on making pizza on a grille. How about frozen french
> fries??

Why?


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]