[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: Baked potato
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: Dave Newsham 
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 19:41:18 GMT
--------
Hello,
How long do you bake a potato for and do you wrap it in foil
Thanks
I'm new to all this

============================

From: Stan Horwitz 
Date: 4 Jan 2001 19:56:38 GMT
--------
> How long do you bake a potato for and do you wrap it in foil

There's no need to wrap baked potatoes in foil. Just wash the potato
thoroughly, prick it with the tip of a knife a few times, then put it in a
450 to 500 degree oven for 45 minutes, assuming a medium or large size
potato. Oh, and be sure to use either a Russett or Idaho potato. After 45
mins, pierce the potato with a knife again. If the knife goes in easily,
the potato is done cooking. 

============================

From: "Nancy Rivera" 
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:08:33 GMT
--------
Stan - Your taters don't burn at that high heat?  I usually only go 350 to
375ish and my taters come out just fine.  Of course, having been lurking and
semi-participating for the last 2 years or so, I think we'll probably get a
zillion different responses to Dave's question!

Nancita

============================

From: brendaenglish[at]my-deja.com
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 21:27:41 GMT
--------
Nancy Rivera wrote:
> Stan - Your taters don't burn at that high heat?  I usually only go 350 to
> 375ish and my taters come out just fine.

I do mine at 425-450 and they come out great.  They never burn.  I don't
wrap them either because we like the crisp peel.

============================

From: aquari[at]aol.comNOJUNK (Aquari)
Date: 04 Jan 2001 22:54:42 GMT
--------
> wrote:
>> Stan - Your taters don't burn at that high heat?  I usually only go 350 to
>> 375ish and my taters come out just fine.
>
>I do mine at 425-450 and they come out great.  They never burn.  I don't
>wrap them either because we like the crisp peel.

That is how I do mine.  Sometimes I grease the skins with bacon drippings or
butter (lightly) prior to baking.  Very good that way.

Libby from Idaho

============================

From: Stan Horwitz 
Date: 4 Jan 2001 21:31:45 GMT
--------
Nancy Rivera  wrote:
> Stan - Your taters don't burn at that high heat?  I usually only go 350 to
> 375ish and my taters come out just fine.  Of course, having been lurking and
> semi-participating for the last 2 years or so, I think we'll probably get a
> zillion different responses to Dave's question!

No. I have never burned a baked potato. I have burned other things, but
that's a different story. The high heat helps cook the potato so that it
comes out nice and moist and fluffy inside with a crisp skin, but be
careful not to overcook it. 

============================

From: "aem" 
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:09:56 GMT
--------
Stan Horwitz wrote:
> No. I have never burned a baked potato. I have burned other things, but
> that's a different story. The high heat helps cook the potato so that it
> comes out nice and moist and fluffy inside with a crisp skin, but be
> careful not to overcook it.

Overcooking per se is not a bad idea.  James Beard liked what he called
"twice-cooked" potatoes, which were basically baked potatoes left in twice
as long as normal.  You get a chewy but unusually flavorful skin, and sorta
mealy insides.  Not standard, but if you try it once, you will occasionally
feel like having it that way again.

============================

From: Dog3 
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:09:52 -0600
--------
Stan Horwitz wrote:
> There's no need to wrap baked potatoes in foil. Just wash the potato
> thoroughly, prick it with the tip of a knife a few times, then put it in a
> 450 to 500 degree oven for 45 minutes, assuming a medium or large size
> potato. Oh, and be sure to use either a Russett or Idaho potato. After 45
> mins, pierce the potato with a knife again. If the knife goes in easily,
> the potato is done cooking.

Yep, and I've read that baking the potato in foil can cause poisoning
problems.  I think I saw it on CNN.

Michael <- likes the crispy skin

============================

From: Edwin Pawlowski 
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:52:27 -0500
--------
Stan Horwitz wrote:
> There's no need to wrap baked potatoes in foil. Just wash the potato
> thoroughly, prick it with the tip of a knife a few times, then put it in a

But Stan, you forgot the part about pre-heating the microwave.
Ed

============================

From: Stan Horwitz 
Date: 5 Jan 2001 16:29:30 GMT
--------
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> But Stan, you forgot the part about pre-heating the microwave.

Microwave a potato! That's a terrible idea, but don't blame me for
starting the microwave vs oven baked potato controversy! :)

============================

From: Cat 
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:50:50 GMT
--------
stan@typhoon.ocis.temple.edu says...
> Microwave a potato! That's a terrible idea, but don't blame me for
> starting the microwave vs oven baked potato controversy! :)

I use the microwave for 3 minutes or so just to start things cooking. 
Finished up in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour makes them perfect. 
Microwaving longer works too if you don't have very much time. I find as 
long as the potato finished cooking for 20-30 minutes in the oven it 
loses the microwavey ickiness.

============================

From: K3 
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:16:50 -0500
--------
> How long do you bake a potato for and do you wrap it in foil

I've always wrapped my potatoes in foil ('cause I like the skin soft & and
like to mash em right up with everything else) and bake them at 375 for
about 1-1/2 hours.   I suppose if you like a drier, crispier 'tater skin
then 400-450-degrees, unwrapped would be the way to go.

============================

From: janic412[at]aol.com (JANIC412)
Date: 04 Jan 2001 21:23:33 GMT
--------
When I make baked potatoes, I wash them then rub them with some vegetable oil
and stick them a few times with a fork or knife. No foil, we like the skins
crispy. Sprinkle with some kosher or sea salt and some freshly ground black
pepper, bake 375 for about an hour or until they are soft. Serve with sour
cream and finely chopped green onions and more black pepper. Yumm.  Jan

============================

From: FH 
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 00:38:25 GMT
--------
> I've always wrapped my potatoes in foil ('cause I like the skin soft & and
> like to mash em right up with everything else) and bake them at 375 for
> about 1-1/2 hours.   I suppose if you like a drier, crispier 'tater skin
> then 400-450-degrees, unwrapped would be the way to go.

i like soft skinned potatoes, so not only do i use foil , i rub olive oil on
them first.

============================

From: terri 
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:30:24 -0600
--------
Oh good, the baked potato question! This is one of the questions that helps
demonstrate the great, uh, diversity on rfc.
As for me, russet potato, no oil, no foil, puncture repeatedly with a fork
and bake at 400 degrees for one hour. Add sour cream, butter, salt and
pepper and you have a meal in a peel.

============================

From: Cat 
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:52:00 GMT
--------
terrilee@execpc.com says...
> you have a meal in a peel.

This sounds very much like an Alton Brown-ism. =)

============================

From: Louis Hlavenka 
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 15:56:51 -0600
--------
If you are going to bake NO FOIL.  Wrapping in foil makes for a steamed
potato.  Baking temp from 325 to 425 are ok.  If you have something else
in the oven just toss the tatters in.

============================

From: Nala 
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:43:18 -0700
--------
Don't be a dummy like me - I forgot to prick the potato once and it exploded
all over my oven when I tried to take it out as soon as it was done!

============================

From: oogyloogy 
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:31:02 GMT
--------
Nala wrote:
> Don't be a dummy like me - I forgot to prick the potato once and it exploded
> all over my oven when I tried to take it out as soon as it was done!

  Ok,ok,ok we all now know how to bake dem taters . but how do youall
like to eat dem baked taters ?? jan's idea sounds very good . i like
mine with butter, freshly ground black pepper,salt,and sour cream on
top..yummy yummy yummy

 heyyyyy i don't care boiled,baked,or fried . i love dem taters

 happy eating
 jack

============================

From: Gabby 
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:48:32 -0400
--------
oogyloogy wrote:
>   Ok,ok,ok we all now know how to bake dem taters . but how do youall
> like to eat dem baked taters ?? jan's idea sounds very good . i like
> mine with butter, freshly ground black pepper,salt,and sour cream on
> top..yummy yummy yummy

Just scoop out the inside, a little butter, salt & pepper to the skins, just
salt & pepper on the potato.  Yum!

============================

From: Stan Horwitz 
Date: 5 Jan 2001 16:32:17 GMT
--------
oogyloogy wrote:
>   Ok,ok,ok we all now know how to bake dem taters . but how do youall
> like to eat dem baked taters ?? jan's idea sounds very good . i like
> mine with butter, freshly ground black pepper,salt,and sour cream on
> top..yummy yummy yummy

Simple. I add two or three pats of butter to the potato, then squeeze it a
bit. I eat the main course first, then by the time I am ready to eat my
baked potato, the butter has melted and gotten distributed through the
potato. I then eat the potato with a knife and fork, skin and all, and I
dip each forkfull in a bit of good old Heinz Ketchup. Sometimes, I like to
add a few shakes of those bacon bits to the potato, but I rarely have
those on hand. 

============================

From: Cat 
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:49:19 GMT
--------
d.newsham02 says...
> How long do you bake a potato for and do you wrap it in foil
> Thanks

Baking potatoes:

- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit
- Wash potato thoroughly under water
- Prick several times with fork or knife
- Nuke in the microwave for about 3 minutes
- Optional: sprinkle with kosher or coarse salt
- Pop into the oven without foil for about an hour
- Potatoes are done when soft and squooshy (don't squeeze too hard) - use 
an oven mitt to check
- Pull out, roll and squoosh until just shy of cracking the skins
- Prick crosswise across the top with a fork
- Squeeze long ends together and potato, if forked right, should pop open 
nicely

============================

Subject: Baked potato 2
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: Dave Newsham 
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:03:28 GMT
--------
Hello Again,
Thanks for the quick replies
Can somebody tell me what all the temperatures are in gas marks (English)
Thanks

============================

From: sackv[at]uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 23:27:06 +0100
--------
Dave Newsham wrote:
> Can somebody tell me what all the temperatures are in gas marks (English)

rec.food.cooking FAQ, section 2.1.  The FAQ is at
.

============================

From: wardna[at]aol.com (WardNA)
Date: 04 Jan 2001 23:32:52 GMT
--------
>Thanks for the quick replies
>Can somebody tell me what all the temperatures are in gas marks (English)

Could you provide a translation of this, please?

============================

From: shivanow[at]pcis.net (--Shiva--)
Date: 5 Jan 2001 00:58:43 GMT
--------
WardNA wrote:
>>Can somebody tell me what all the temperatures are in gas marks (English)
>
>Could you provide a translation of this, please?

 american uses temperature numbers on the oven dial, the English
don't, they have marks instead...

============================

From: Mary Pelis 
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:13:04 -0500
--------
WardNA wrote:
> >Can somebody tell me what all the temperatures are in gas marks (English)
>
> Could you provide a translation of this, please?

U.S. degrees:  225    British Gas Mark:  1/4
               250                       1/2
               275                       1
               300                       2
               325                       3
               350                       4
               375                       5
               400                       6
               425                       7
               450                       8
               475                       9

I think I'd do an hour at gas mark 4 or 5, depending on the size of the
potato.

============================

From: Orrie 
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 20:59:05 -0500
--------
I'm curious. Where did you find the conversion from Gas Marks to Fahrenheit
Temperature. I have a really good conversion program and it does have that
one.

============================

From: Lynn K Busby 
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:17:42 +0000
--------
Orrie writes:
>I'm curious. Where did you find the conversion from Gas Marks to Fahrenheit
>Temperature. I have a really good conversion program and it does have that
>one.

Most of my cookery books have a conversion chart in them.

============================

From: Mary Pelis 
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:25:05 -0500
--------
Orrie wrote:
> I'm curious. Where did you find the conversion from Gas Marks to Fahrenheit
> Temperature. I have a really good conversion program and it does have that
> one.

I did a Jeeves search on British ovens, & just happened on a site that gave
the information (Alicia's Kitchen - Oven Temperatures - US & British).  I
love Jeeves.


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]